Questions we are usually asked by customers

Q) What does referencing involve?

A) This is nothing to be worried about – it is normal practice for a good agent. It
generally involves checking information you provide with your employer, previous/
current landlords and credit referencing agency.

Q) Will this referencing cost me anything?

A) No reference fees will be charged to the tenants

Q) Why do I need to pay a holding deposit?

A) This reserves the property for you whilst credit reference checks are carried out and is
offset against the tenant set up fee.

Q) How much is the holding deposit?

A) This again varies but Lynwood Letts require a deposit of one weeks rent

Q) Why do I need to pay a deposit?

A) The Landlord is trusting you to keep their property in good order. The deposit is held
against non payment of rent and to ensure that any damages over and above fair wear and
tear can be corrected at the end of the tenancy. Or any outstanding utilities bills.

Q) How much is the deposit?

A) 5 weeks deposit is required, this is refundable subject to inspection of the property.

Q) Are there any other costs?

A) Yes, you will also require 1 months rent in advance, Contact the agent for further information.

Q) Why do I need to be referenced?

A) Referencing gives the Landlord a clearer picture of you and its there to help them
make an informed decision on who to accept.

Q) who will hold my deposit?

A) The deposit must be registered with an approved scheme and held by either the Agent,
Landlord or paid directly to the deposit scheme (depending on its membership rules).
You should be provided with details of the Scheme and where the deposit will be held by
the Landlord or his agent.

Q) What is the Tenancy Deposit Scheme?

A) All Landlords and agents are required by law to register and protect your deposit with
a government approved scheme on an Assured Shorthold Tenancy.

Q) What if I want to leave?

A) If you are in a fixed term contract, you cannot normally leave the property before the
end of the contract. If you are out of your fixed term contract there would normally be a
notice period to serve.

Q) What happens if I lose my job?

A) It is always your responsibility to ensure your rent is paid, however you can talk to
your Agent/Landlord to discuss possible payment plans – don’t let the arrears pile up.

Q) Can my Landlord let himself into the property while I am living there?

A) Your Landlord cannot enter the property without giving you notice (unless it is an

Q) Why do I need a guarantor?

A) Sometimes referencing decisions ask for a guarantor as your earnings may not be
considered quite enough to pay the rent or you may not achieve the appropriate rating set
by the referencing agency. Do not worry, this is not uncommon – your agent will be able
to explain the details.

Q) What does a guarantor need to do?

A) A guarantor normally needs to be referenced in the same way as the applicant. They
would normally be required to be employed and resident in the UK with sufficient
earnings to cover your rental commitment. The Guarantor is responsible for paying any
rent arrears if the tenant does not pay and any damages costing more than the deposit.

Due to the level of financial commitment required, we normally find guarantors are
family members rather than friends.

Q) Why does my guarantor have to guarantee all tenants?

A) This is because the tenancy agreement makes all sharers in a tenancy jointly
responsible for all rents and liabilities – which means there is no individual ‘share’ of the
rent. The guarantor has the same responsibility.

Q) What is a tenancy agreement?

A) A legal documents which sets out the rules with which the tenant and landlord agree to
comply. Usually Assured Shorthold Tenancy (AST).

Q) Who can I go to if my Landlord is not keeping to his side of the agreement?

A) Initially talk to your agent – LYNWOOD LETTS can give some advice to tenants
as we have a duty of care but we would also suggest independent advice such as The
Citizens Advice Bureau.

Q) Who is responsible for repairs?

A) In most cases the Landlord is responsible for repairs either themselves or via their
agent. If you do damage to the property, you would normally be expected to cover the
cost of putting this right.